Two words will repeatedly come out whenever you find the word stewardship in any context,” Responsibility” and “accountability” We are to preserve the nation from spiritual,morally,economical and social corruption and contamination by any means. We are to manage, develop and preserve the national, social economical, spiritual and public affairs and properly manage the national resources, national investments, and national treasury. We have a duty and responsibility to improve the social, economical and moral standards of our communities as church leaders. it’s unfortunate that the church avoided anything which involves community.
Ungodly people corrupt society, Corruption is actually sin and gross wickedness which delays the social, political, economical and spiritual progress of a country. When a nation denounces the authority of God and godly principle of governance a seed of decay and erosion of morality, justice, peace, integrity and the fear of God takes place. This will lead a nation into a serious social and moral breakdown beyond human comprehension.
Community leadership is ordained by God and not by man, according to the book of Romans13:1 both the government and its citizens has responsibility towards each other and also towards God as the creator and owner of everything. Every one needs to treat national duty and national leadership as sacred God is concerned how we rule and how we govern his people, though in society today we may have different kinds of systems but the final account will be given to God. The rule of God through Godly leadership by prophets or priest or clergy is called a theocracy.
In any sense man needs to be governed especially when man rejects God Why?, If man is not governed by anything we are going to face chaos.1Timothy1vs8-9 Democracy itself is not a biblical system or order but the word government has repeatedly appeared in the scriptures Romans13:2. While democracy is the work of man through philosophy and politics, government and authority ids ordained by God. Legend politician Margret Thatcher once admitted in a public speech that “We cannot make it without religion” What she meant was we cannot make it without God; A godless society is an evil society.
In most case in the Bible the kings of a nation through their leadership made the nation to sin, this is true even now Bad leadership,
We are charged and mandated by God as Christians to preserve the nation from moral catastrophe as we see people departing every day from what is right to pursue their lewd emotions, sinful ambitions and ungodly personal agendas and self gratification which indeed is the cult of self worship and Gnosticism. People will always seek different way in which they can find meaning to their lives, fulfill their own lives and be happy as human being but all we arrive at is more confusion and human complication. Commonly this is done in seven categories
We have a duty as a church to do the following thing in our nations.
1. Give spiritual guidance.
2. Give prophetic direction, a nation without a prophetic voice and a prophetic direction is doomed.
3. Preserve, develop and manage our nations for God. The first responsibility God gave man was to take care of the earth and to rule well over everything he created on earth. We need to know that nature preservation is God’s will for man. We need to take care of our natural resources, our health, our jobs, our environment etc.
4. Be exemplary to the circular world of ungodly people and political leaders.
5. Be a trusted institution where both society and our government will run to for spiritual direction and solutions.
6. To disciple our nation for Christ following the great commission in the book of (Mathew 28vs19).
7. To pray and intercede for our nations according to the book of (1Timothy2vs2-4). We need to have special and specific prays for our national leaders and pray for them instead of cursing them if we are to live peaceable lives.
8. Be a socially and spiritually relevant corporate body of Christians.
9. Keep our national spiritual gates through radical and aggressive spiritual warfare and intercession.
Providing Godly national leadership does not only mean becoming g a President of a country but it means is you can provide godly leadership in whichever environment God has put you in.It can be in a civil society, NGO, Church organisation, CBO, UN agency or a government department. God demands that we bring fruit and positive results in which ever place he has place d us in.
You can be a civil servant for example a policeman or a teacher or a Member of Parliament or even a cabinet minister. You must prove competency and integrity as a Christian that is the first step into providing Godly and spiritual leadership. You presence as a Christian should command respect in all these institutions. Community leadership does not start from the top though in record or in theory it does but in practice it starts from the grass root those who work directly with issues and people at ground level. As Christians we must treat our jobs or employment as sacred and a stewardship which we have received from and not just a means of earning a living. As a Christian your labour in everything is not in vain, its either it will bring good fruit or bad fruit so be careful how you labour.